Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Always.



As a little boy I knew he learned differently. 
I would try and teach him his ABCs and 123s and he would fight me every step of the way.
I knew it was more than his German stubborness and Irish temper that would both hinder him and help him.

Last year we finally got him tested. There were some bumps along the way but he is now getting the help he needed and will need to get him headed in the right direction.  
We found out he has dyslexia. 
I know there is more but for now we are dealing with this roadblock.

He cried today when we sat to do his homework.  

It's just so hard, Mama.
I try so hard and my brain doesn't work.
My brain scrambles it all and I just don't get it.

These words kill me.  
Yet at the same time I understand.
He hurts so much from trying to keep up and show that he is smart. 
that he can do the work.
that he does want to learn.

I know he is in there.
Do you see it, teachers?
Do you see a little boy who could design and race race cars like his Daddy?
Do you see a little boy who will windsurf around the globe?
Do you see a lego master who wants to invent a spy car?
Do you see a reader? a writer? a little boy wanting to learn?


A friend sent me this link about learning disabilities: 

Always believe in your kids.
Always be your kids advocate.
Always protect your kids. 
Always just be there for your kids.
Always.

No comments: